What happens during diabetes education?
During initial visits, your LWell Registered Dietitian will spend time with you developing a plan that helps you overcome the barriers you face in managing your diabetes, develop problem-solving and coping skills and adopt healthy behaviors. Some examples of the many activities you may work on together are:
• Helping you understand exactly what diabetes is and how it affects your body
• Explaining how diabetes medications work
• Figuring out what types of food are best for you and how to plan meals that fit your life and budget
• Determining the best type of glucose monitoring device for your specific circumstances
• Suggesting charts, apps and other tools to provide reminders and help you track your progress
• Offering tips to help you cope with stress and solve problems as they arise
Importance of follow up
Meeting with an LWell Registered Dietitian is a great first step. Make an appointment with an LWell Registered Dietitian today >>
Depending on your specific situation, your insurance and your doctor’s preferences, you may meet with your LWell Registered Dietitian several times, either individually, in a group or both. Insurance plans typically cover up to 10 hours of diabetes education the first year you have been referred, with varying levels of coverage after that. It of course depends on your specific insurance plan.